RTS game with Apex Path Questions

• November 12, 2018 at 12:10 #24040
    stodorovic
    Participant

Hi i have questions about Apex path and Steer and their capabilities for RTS game.
    First thing i noticed is that agents that are moving are pushing other idle agents from their path. I tried fix that with dynamic obstacles activating when agent is idle so other agents do repath. The thing is that every modern RTS game have free movement of units and not uniformed one cell by cell. So to do that without unnecessary blocking of other cells with dynamic obstacle (example unit is standing idle and blocking 4 cells of its size because of its position in grid) I reduced the cell sizes to be less than units radius. And then I realized that dynamic obstacle doesn’t effect the clearance so if I have 2 units close to each other with only one cell between them the other agents will find path between them and get stuck.

My question: Is there any work around this? I don’t want to change your core code if there is way to fix this without changing the code.

November 12, 2018 at 15:58 #24042
    Geminior
    Keymaster

The steering has the specific behaviour you outline, and the only way to change that is to actually change the respective steering components, i.e. Steer for separation and steer for unit avoidance.

Apex Path and Steer is best seen as a foundation on which to build steering.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.