Pathing Engine Heap Capacity Question

• July 21, 2017 at 21:10 #21478
    Velo222
    Participant

Hello,

I was wondering what unit of measurement the “heap capacity” number was in? I keep getting the heap capacity warnings: “The pathing engine’s heap capacity (800) has been reached. If this happens often, it is recommended that you increase the initial heap size of the engine to avoid automatic resizing.
    Do this on the Path Service Component and increment it by 10 or so at a time to keep it as small as possible.”

During the game, when this happens, all pathing on my units stops and waits for a good 5 seconds or so before any pathing can continue.

I was wondering if it was in megabytes (or something like that) — and what is a safe number to use in terms of memory. For example, is it ok if I increase the heap capacity to say “1500” or “5000” or something like that — or is that astronomically big?

Thanks for any help or info.

July 31, 2017 at 16:22 #21555
    Rami
    Keymaster

Hi Velo,

Thanks for your post.

The heap capacity measurement is basically in path nodes, to put it in a simplified way (remember you have full source code, you can check this yourself). A path result includes an array of positions or “nodes” that make up that path.

Thus, 5000 is not astronomical, if you need it you can set it to that. Basically, it will reserve a chunk of memory in RAM that is therefore unavailable for other purposes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.