Next update / support level

• November 1, 2018 at 19:44 #23985
    Szymon Gatner
    Participant

Hi,

we are strongly considering Apex Path with Steer as a path-finding solution for next RTS project, problem is last update to Path or Steer was over a year ago (Aug 2017). Are those products still supported? Are updates and fixes for latest Unity releases coming?

November 1, 2018 at 20:20 #23987
    chaosriftgames
    Participant

I’m using this for my current game. With Unity 2018 you just need to delete 4 lines from the installed code to get it to compile and work. Since you’re doing an RTS you’ll most likely have considerably less trouble than me, as this package looks very RTS centric despite claiming to be more generic.

Support is pretty ok. They respond within a few hours. It’s helpful to an extent where they will point you in the right direction. Or reference a scene you need to analyze.

The frustrating part is the documentation. If you’re not a developer, you will be. You will need to spend weeks of time experimenting and trying to figure out the multitude of interfaces.

I ended up using the UnitFacade and then a “using Apex everything” which opened up all the wonders of the API into a single control file. Granted I’m doing a 3rd person shooter, which this really wasn’t designed for.

November 1, 2018 at 20:58 #23989
    Szymon Gatner
    Participant

Thanks for those insights!

I am indeed a programmer so looking at the code and scarce documentation is less of a problem for me than asset being abandoned by devs. Projects like that that take months and years to develop so without devs support it will be more and more of a problematic to use.

There are alternatives on asset store that are updated more recently but they don’t feel as complete ax Apex stuff.

Would really like to know if it is not abandonware at this point

November 2, 2018 at 00:47 #23991
    chaosriftgames
    Participant

I do believe Apex is borderline abandonware. It’s a 5 star asset and I feel better than Navmesh and A* project.

But the comments from the support/author hint at giving up. I remember them posting at one point that documentation was lacking, but they didn’t want to improve it because the unity Asset store is “low traffic”.

Granted, I feel this is still the best Navmesh alternative and have put up with the lack of documentation to build my game. I tried A* Project, but honestly Apex is the best in class solution.

I know I’m bitter sweet about this asset. I love it, I hate it. But it’s great once you get past the frustrations.

November 2, 2018 at 10:55 #23993
    Geminior
    Keymaster

Thanks to @chaosriftgames for giving your view on the assets.

We have stopped active development on all products on the asset store. We do still keep a minimum level of support, but will not be implementing new features or adapting to new Unity features such as ECS and/or job system.

All products bar the Utility AI are full source code, so they can be tweaked in any way desirable. Of course there is a learning curve to get to a point where you can confidently make core changes.

November 2, 2018 at 11:03 #23995
    Szymon Gatner
    Participant

I was afraid that was the case, tough decision but tbh I’d rather go with worse asset with better support than vice-versa. Thanks @chaosriftgames. @geminior any new assets / projects planned next?

November 2, 2018 at 11:08 #23999
    Geminior
    Keymaster

The reason we are no longer actively developing on existing products is that it is not economically viable, and hence we have no plans for new assets for the asset store.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.