Networking?

• September 8, 2017 at 02:40 #21887
    Moodie Younis
    Participant

I’ve been looking at APEX utility AI to use as my AI framework, and am eager to delve into it, but I have one overarching question though regarding networking. Im not sure this will be an issue… but can you implement APEX into a game where multiple users log into a scene and interact with the same AI characters?

Essentially… can you apply network components on elements / gameobjects that use APEX AI as well? what would the possible limitations/conflicts there? Im using Unity 2017.1

Thank you!

September 8, 2017 at 10:42 #21901
    Rami
    Keymaster

Hi Moodie Younis,

Thanks for your post.

The topic of networking in games is a huge one and obviously out of our scope to provide fulfilling advice on.

Apex Utility AI does not care whether it runs in a networked environment or not. However, depending on your network architecture there are different considerations you will need to make.

Apex Utility AI uses float-based scoring, and thus is not determinstic. Only if you ensure yourself that all scores are in whole numbers, and even then it is easy to miss some, e.g. variable scorers, which breaks determinism.

If you are going for an authorative server architecture, it becomes easier, as the server can simply run the AI. When your users log into a scene and interact with an AI character, I assume that they are sending a network packet to the server informing the server of this interaction. Thus, the server can update the AI state and inform clients of this and thus you should not run into issues.

So, to sum up, there are no *special* considerations that you need to have in regards to Apex Utility AI. The challenges involved are normal networking challenges that you solve through choice of architecture and implementation of the network code.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Rami.
    September 8, 2017 at 18:01 #21905
    Moodie Younis
    Participant

Rami, thanks very much for the insight. I am a bit of a noob with game development at least in relation to AI and these other aspects but i’m learning. Your suggesting to have authoritative server architecture is probably the way to go eventually, but first ill need to master Utility. Good to hear that there are no special considerations :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.