Grid visualization significantly differs from actual collider placement

  • November 9, 2017 at 12:46 #22352
    Henry
    Participant

    Hi, I’ve recently encountered a problem where my baked grids don’t seem to reflect the actual positions of obstacle colliders, and the visualization doesn’t either. I’ve had problems where the visualization doesn’t work at all, but never before where it’s just very inaccurate. Attached are pictures that use an empty GameObject for position reference, showing the disparity:

    Grid visualization, y = 0

    Actual collider positions, y = 165

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    November 9, 2017 at 13:16 #22355
    Rami
    Keymaster

    Hi Henry,

    Thanks for your post.

    It looks like you have some cells being blocked that shouldn’t be, and possible some cells that aren’t blocked which should?

    The cells that are blocked without the presence of a collider could be due to height map and height navigation capabilities. You should check your height navigation and height map settings (on the Apex Game World) and try to tweak the settings till they match what you want, or disable height map entirely if you don’t need it.

    The cells have a sensitivity based on how much of the cell is blocked by a collider, you may want to adjust that as well.

    November 10, 2017 at 04:17 #22363
    Henry
    Participant

    Hi Rami, I’ve tried to readjust the height settings and it doesn’t seem to be making any difference in the visualization. I’ve moved the grid closer to the terrain so you can see the discrepancies better, and included a screenshot of my settings. I found that using Capsule instead of Mixed for Obstacle/Ground detection produced more blocked cells, but they’re still very inaccurate.

    Navgrid/Collider discrepancy

    November 10, 2017 at 05:26 #22365
    Henry
    Participant

    OK, so update: I deleted my grid and recreated it, and it seems like the bug has to do with that. The height settings don’t update on the grids unless you recreate them, so I’m thinking maybe the grid was visualizing a previous state.

    It seems my Obstacle Sensitivity Range might have been too low and some of my colliders weren’t being detected. I set it higher than I would have liked to set it, but at least everything is detected now. Thanks Rami!

    November 10, 2017 at 10:11 #22368
    Rami
    Keymaster

    Glad to hear you found a solution.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.