Assembly Stripping

• September 19, 2016 at 17:21 #14525
    Geminior
    Keymaster

Building for IOS and Android and possibly other platforms allows you to enable stripping of assemblies to remove types and/or members not directly referenced.

This all works fine when no reflection is used. However if reflection is used and a type is not directly referenced, it will be removed.
    Since Apex Utility AI rely heavily on reflection for reading and writing AIs, stripping breaks the AIs.

We will provide an update to Apex Utility AI in the reasonably near future that will control stripping.
    Until then, you can copy the following xml and save it under the name link.xml and place that file somewhere in the Assets folder or subfolders.

November 9, 2016 at 19:01 #16263
    Dan
    Participant

How does this apply to a Standalone Linux-headless build? you mentioned maybe other platforms…

November 9, 2016 at 21:39 #16265
    Geminior
    Keymaster

This file should be present regardless of build type as it does no harm. It simply affects stripping during builds.

April 5, 2017 at 05:20 #19624
    optimisez
    Participant

Hi,
    Can I know when the new update will be shipped? There is no update since Version: 1.0.5 (Sep 25, 2016).

April 5, 2017 at 12:06 #19634
    Rami
    Keymaster

Hi Optimisez,

We do not have a date for the next update currently. You have access to the link.xml file here though, if you need it.

Is there anything in particular that you are waiting for?

April 5, 2017 at 16:51 #19641
    optimisez
    Participant

Personally I suggest that you can implement code generator to generate code to solve stripping issue and improve performance. Meaning that the current reflection implementation is still maintained and the code generator will only be used when shipping final game.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by optimisez.
    April 5, 2017 at 17:08 #19644
    Rami
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what you mean by a code generator. There is no need to generate any code, the needed link.xml file is present in the original post in this thread. You can simply copy and paste it into a file called ‘link.xml’ to prevent code stripping.

April 6, 2017 at 12:43 #19661
    optimisez
    Participant

As far as I know reflection will impact the performance. Although I think you guys already do a lot of optimizations but during initialization of AI I think it will still takes more time to load because of reflection.

April 6, 2017 at 13:23 #19663
    Geminior
    Keymaster

It is certainly true that reflection impacts performance, however since it is used only during initialization it is a non issue in our opinion and therefore not something we plan to change.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.