3D / arbitrary mesh geometry

• November 30, 2017 at 22:27 #22524
    craptastic
    Participant

Is it possible to use Apex Path on arbitrary and interconnected meshes? I have level meshes made and modified at run time that include procedural caves. How difficult would it be to get Apex to play nicely with such requirements?

December 1, 2017 at 10:35 #22528
    Rami
    Keymaster

Hey Craptastic,

Thanks for posting.

Apex Path is based on a uniform square grid. Thus, it will practically never fit perfectly with organic mesh in arbitrary shapes. If you want the navigation to happen very closely/snugly to obstacles, you should probably look into a NavMesh solution.

Apex Path does however support runtime dynamic updates, so changing anything in the level is no problem.

December 1, 2017 at 23:29 #22530
    craptastic
    Participant

Hi! Thanks for the reply.
    Shape isn’t so much the issue, the underlying structure of the world is in fact a big 3d grid. A better question for me to ask I guess is:
    How difficult would it be for me to feed my own grid to Apex in cases where it is unable to parse the geometry into a grid?
    or more directly, does/can this work with voxel style terrain?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by craptastic. Reason: Less beating around the bush
    December 4, 2017 at 10:48 #22546
    Geminior
    Keymaster

There is no built-in support for using custom grids, so it would require code changes.
    The amount of changes needed will depend on the features you require to work with a custom grid. For path finding only it shouldn’t be a major task.

You do not feed terrain to Apex Path as such, the terrain is identified via ray casts so any type of terrain with a collider is supported.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.