2D steering mobile performance

• March 28, 2017 at 00:06 #19467
    jonathan
    Participant

Hi,

I was curious if the asset can run 2d steering with hundreds of units on iOS Androids with FPS above 30~60. If so are there any suggested options to boost up the performance. I would rather sacrifice some options like avoidance and using obstacles(like walls) to make it run on games. Thank you!!

March 28, 2017 at 11:35 #19477
    Rami
    Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your post.

We actually have a page on mobile performance, although it is slightly outdated.

Generally, Apex Path and Apex Steer have very good performance with almost zero GC at runtime, and can support vast amounts of moving entities simultaneously. However, obviously there is an upper limit that depends on your target platform, the complexity of the environment (grid) and the amount of components you use on your units.

Generally, the fewer components you use, the less overhead. Especially the scanning-based components such as Steer for Unit Avoidance and Steer for Separation may be slightly more costly than others.

I encourage you to play around with the setup to figure out where your limits are.

[EDIT]
    It should probably be noted that Apex Path and Apex Steer only support movement on the X & Z axes (+ height navigation on Y), and not X & Y, which is common for 2D games.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Rami.
    March 28, 2017 at 18:20 #19489
    jonathan
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.
    It helped me a lot. I will try to work out the components and options.
    Thank you!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by jonathan.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.